Down Friar’s Entry, bus station side of The Far From The Madding Crowd is The White Rabbit. This building has apparently been a public house since 1830 and is owned by St. John’s College who let the property.
Formerly The Gloucester Arms, this pub reopened late Nov 2012 and appears to sell beer from the White Horse Brewery in Stanford-in-the-Vale (have seen Bitter, Village Idiot, Wayland Smithy and Porter on tap). Redecorated, it’s now simple, bright and fresh, and also serves good homemade food (including pizza) along with the good beer.
A change from the previous incarnation and none the worse for the change (though there was nothing wrong with the Gloc at all, it was great – just a bit heavy rock for many people!).